We are delighted to be recognised for our tours, not only by tourism organisations, but also the reviews left by our visitors on TripAdvisor and Google Business.
The visitors we receive include an ever growing number from outside the UK. Families planning their holiday book tours sometimes months in advance to coincide with their visit to Liverpool.
In addition to reviews, interest in the Williamson’s Tunnels has grown exponentially world wide, resulting in the Tunnels and FoWT getting the attention of many media organisations, leading to our being featured many times on Television, Radio, Newspapers and Magazines worldwide.
The Friends of Williamson’s Tunnels has always had volunteers at its core, being run entirely by a dedicated team of volunteers. They work hard to research, rediscover and protect the subterranean works of Joseph Williamson.
We started running tours many years ago. As the tunnels system grew, more chambers and passages were added to the map of known Tunnels structures. So interest in the tunnels, as well as visitor numbers has grown greatly.
Liverpool City Region Tourism Awards
- Liverpool City Region Tourism Awards 2020 – Following on from our previous years success, FoWT were thrilled to learn that we had once again been shortlisted for ‘Small Visitor Attraction of the Year 2020’. Sadly, we didnt actually win but just being shortlisted was a huge honour.
- Liverpool City Region Tourism Awards 2019 – FoWT were incredibly proud to be shortlisted and go on to then win the ‘Hidden Gem’ Award of this prestigious tourism award held in Liverpool Cathedral.
- TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice award 2022 – Placing FoWT’s tours in the Top 10% of Attractions, Worldwide.
- TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice award 2021 – Placing FoWT’s tours in the Top 10% of Attractions, Worldwide.
- TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice award 2020
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
Travellers’ Choice (formerly Certificate of Excellence)
FoWT have received consistent good reviews from visitors via both TripAdvisor and Google Business.
- BBC journalist Chris Baranuic visited, creating this BBC Future Magazine article. This feature about the Williamson’s Tunnels proved extremely popular, going on to receive the “Best of 2015” listing award.
FoWT and the Williamson’s Tunnels being featured in media around the globe.
- BBC News
- ITN News at 10
- BBC Look North West
- BBC Inside Out North West
- BBC Close Up North
- Made in Liverpool TV
- CNN – USA
- Channel 7 News – Australia
- BBC Radio Merseyside (we have taken part in Radio Merseyside programmes on several occasions)
- Talk Sport Radio
- The Mark Forrest Radio Show – BBC National Radio
- Celebrity Antiques Road Trip 2013 – BBC 1 with the visiting celebrity, Edwina Curry – Series 3 episode 10
- Antiques Road Trip 2020 – BBC 1 with antiques expert Natasha Raskin Sharp – Series 21 Episode 9
- Abandoned Engineering – Yesterday Channel
- Mysteries of the Abandoned – Discovery Science channel in USA series 7 Episode 11
- Underground Worlds – Yesterday Channel series 1 – Episode 3
- Underground Britain – Channel 5 Series 1 episode 3
- The Secrets of Underground Britain
- Galileo Der Maulwurf Von Liverpool – German TV
- Paranormal Explore – Discovery Channel
- The Kids Club (Children’s TV show 2001)
We must not forget series 13 of Dr Who…
The BBC used the story of Joseph Williamson and his tunnels in the story line for the latest, Series 13 of Dr Who. Whilst FoWT were not directly featured, the fact that the Williamson’s Tunnels would feature in such a popular, long running show with such a large following worldwide, goes to show the importance, interest and intrigue that the Williamson’s Tunnel’s bring to the people.
Tate Gallery Exhibition
Artist ‘Mikhail Karikis’ created an Art Installation as part of Tate Liverpool’s annual “We Have Your Art Gallery Project”. Mickhail’s installation was filmed in the Williamson’s Tunnels with FoWT and on display in the Tate Liverpool from 27th July to 22nd November 2020.
Dan Snow, the Patron of the Friends of Williamson’s Tunnels, has visited, making Podcasts from the Williamson’s Tunnels for his History Hit channel.
Other TV and Online
- Uncharted, A Great Big Story – The Lost Tunnels of Liverpool – CNN
- Into the unknown: Liverpool’s mysterious Tunnels – BBC 1 & News Channel
- Liverpool’s lost Williamson tunnels – BBC 1 & News Channel
- BBC Magazine
- Waar is de mol? In de tunnels onder Liverpool! (Dutch Web article)
- History daily: Liverpool has a Buried Underworld and No One Knows Why
- ‘ZuZu’ New Single “Timing”, the singer, Zuzu filmed the video for her New Single “Timing” in the Tunnels with us.
- Subterranea Magazine (Subterranea Britannica)
- ‘Context’ Magazine (IHBC Institute of Historic Builders)
- The Merseyside Magazine.
- Local Life Magazine: The Mole of Edge Hill.
- Aspire Magazine: Going Underground.
- ‘Current Archaeology Magazine’: “Odd Socs”, the Friends of Williamson’s Tunnels
- SpeakUp’ Magazine & online: Italian Magazine for expats and English-speaking Italian’s
- Aer Lingus: Cara In-flight Magazine
- “O” – Orange Magazine – Magazine for Orange telecommunications Customers
- ‘Vespri’ magazine – Italy
- Liverpool Echo – Fowt have been feature on many occasions
- Daily Post
- Daily Mail
- Daily Mirror
- Sligo Weekender – Ireland
- Süddeutsche Zeitung (south German newspaper)
Other online examples of publicity of FoWT and the Williamson’s Tunnels, examples of which are far too many to list here. Though here are just a few examples.
- Visit Liverpool – Friends of Williamson’s Tunnels
- Engage Liverpool – Williamson’s Tunnels
- The Line-up – The underground mystery of the Williamson’s Tunnels
- Messy Nessy – Liverpool has a buried Underworld and no one knows why
- Breaktime News – An underground Mystery: Liverpool’s tunnel System
- And many many more…
Williamson’s Tunnels used for Location Filming for TV/Films.
The Williamson’s Tunnels have been used by film makers as a filming location/set on several occasions. The following films had scenes that were filmed in the Tunnels.
- The Cask of Amontillado
- Descent of Sanity.
- Tribal, Get Me Out Alive
- Rage 2
- The Monster of Anghenfil
- See the Sunrise
Keep checking back here on http://www.williamsontunnels.com for the latest news about Joseph Williamson’s underground kingdom!